24 May 2013

The Joys of Texting

So, I have stumbled upon a small problem.  Texting.

I have come to a part in my story where I need to write a scene that includes text messages.  Actually, the entire dialogue of the scene is nothing but text messages.

Problem number 1:  How does one write text messages? 

For example,
"Hi." vs. Hi.

The first implies speech, which texts are not and I certainly don't want to confuse anyone.

Problem number 2: Do people really want to read things like "LOL" or :) ?  Is it possible to write a conversation that's happening through text messages without including those things?  I've never done it before when I've texted people, although I'm sure there are people out there who do.  Old people who don't understand emoticons.  (Although I'm one to talk since I didn't understand the concept of Instagram until a couple weeks ago)

Perhaps I'm way over thinking this.  After all, it's my story and I can do whatever the hell I want to in it.  I've just never read a book that included text messages.  E-mails, yes.  But never text messages.  Surely in this day and age there have to be a few works out there that include this type of conversation.  You'd think anyway.

Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment