27 October 2013

[Insert Title Here]

Pride and Prejudice. Where the Red Fern Grows. 50 Shades of Grey. All are books, some good, some poor, but I'll leave that to the reader to decide. The point is that they are titles and there's something about them that makes the reader either A: pick up the book or B: keep passing by.

Ignore the cover art. Ignore the type face. What I want to know is: What makes a good title?

I am currently facing a dilemma. I'm sure I am not the first one to have this problem, but for the life of me, I can't figure out a title for my book. Between clever puns to random generators to just stupid names, I can't come up with something that ultimately says, "READ ME!".

I'm so tired of calling my book "Netherworld Book 1" (of 7). It doesn't say anything about the contents which are a type of erotic romance, paranormal thriller kind of deal. Lots of sex, lots of blood, lots of mayhem. And the best I can come up with is Book 1? I've produced a novel of 70k words and the last precious few are lost to me.

So instead of banging my head against a wall, how do I come up with a relatively decent title? I've already given up on anything awe-inspiring. Now I'm waiting for an epiphany. May lightening strike (and may it not hurt too much when it does) and may a title come within my grasp. Hopefully it'll happen before the book's ready for release.

For all the writer's out there: How do you produce a title for your books?

No comments:

Post a Comment