25 January 2014

Shut up and FOCUS

Today has been interesting. My mind has been racing with plot lines and supporting characters. I have fallen into the pit of overwhelming stories and supporting characters that demand to be their own protagonist when what I really need to be focusing on is one book at a time.

I'm working on Book 2 in the Netherworld series and I find myself suffering from writer's block. I happen to have the opinion that writer's block is just the manifestation of not knowing in which direction to take the plot. I have retreated to my outlines, which I have now decided that I do not like. There are so many things that can be added or changed that will positively impact the story and make it more interesting. But I'm stumbling over how to pull them off successfully.

I guess I'm exactly like my friend Candace claims: a perfectionist. My books need to be perfect or as perfect as I can make them. And it's not, therefore I must fix it. Now. My characters deserve more than just some slapped together plot line that takes the story where I need it to go in the series. I can still do that, but I have to make this story stand on it's own as well. Tricky stuff.

I can't do anything without it impacting the next five books in one way or another. I can modify some things, but nothing big. Luckily the story doesn't need a big overhaul. Just small tweeks and manipulations. But they're big enough to be a giant pain in the ass.

I'm finding that the best course of action is to not force it and leave it to the back of my mind to be pondered on later. And all of the additional stories that are begging to be acknowledged? Yeah, they'll just have to wait. Of course that's easier said than done. It's one of the many facets of being a writer, I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Olivia, I'm a fellow author who does webinars for a company called Author Solutions. Was wondering if you'd be able to chat about crafting erotic scenes as part of my research for an upcoming webinar. If so, please contact me at stevepiacente@gmail.com
    Thanks, Steve

    ReplyDelete